18000 1950-05-29 Exeter St Davids
Gas turbine No.18000 leaving Exeter St. Davids with a Down express on May 29, 1950.
Peter Kerslake adds the details "18000 heads westwards on the bridge over the River Exe, with the water tank for Exeter MPD on the extreme left and St.Davids station in the background. 18000 was on the 3.30.p.m. from Paddington, due into Plymouth North Road at 8 p.m., so this would be an evening shot on what looks to have been a wet and dismal day. Following an overnight stay at Laira, 18000 will be booked to return to Paddington the following morning on the 7.15.a.m from Plymouth. These rosters continued until 5th June 1950 when the first of what were to be many problems with the linings in the combustion chamber was discovered whilst 18000 was at Old Oak Common, and the locomotive was returned to Swindon Works. It returned to service on the Plymouth working on 9th June 1950".
Photo: John P. Wilson/Rail Archive Stepenson