CR 119 1900s Carlisle
Caledonian Railway Connor '98' class 2-4-0 No. 119. Built by Neilson & Co. of Glasgow in 1868 as CR No. 468, re-numbered to 119 in 1876 and to 1119 in 1912. Withdrawn in 1915. The wonderful sight of Connor 2-4-0 No.119 heading north from what is believed to be Carlisle, is truly a sight to behold. Rescued from a very small and dreadfully faded print, we must be thankful for what the digital era has made possible. The '98' class consisted of 28 locomotives but photographs of them are somewhat scarce and even scarcer 'in action'.
Ian Townend adds "A magnificent photograph from the turn of last century! The coaching stock is very interesting and could represent a mail train. The leading vehicle looks like a WCJS 42' parcel post van to D97"
© Steve Armitage Archive