1617 1933-04-17 Exeter MPD
Great Western Railway Armstrong '1076' class 0-6-0 Pannier Tank No. 1617. Built at Swindon in March 1880 as a side tank, rebuilt with pannier tanks in March 1921 and withdrawn in December 1934.
The Great Western Railway was masterful at getting the best out of its fleet by 'renewal' or 'rebuilding' of older locomotives with more modern standardised features to extend their lives. One such, double-framed 1617 is on shed at Exeter in April 1933 but it will be withdrawn 18 months later having accrued 54 years of service.
© Les Hanson-David Hanson Archive