Ex-Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway 0-6-0 Tank No. 822. Built by Beyer Peacock & Co. of Manchester in September 1902 and named 'The Earl' it was withdrawn in August 1961 and preserved.
The line of washing will hopefully remain clean after the passage of 822 at Raven Square in Welshpool. This scene is from June 1956 and the railway had already been running for 53 years. In 2022 this locomotive will be 120 years old and will have served the 2ft. 6in. gauge railway throughout except for a five-year gap (1956-61) between closure and preservation.