8783 1938-04-19 King's Cross
Ex-Great Eastern Railway Hill 'H88' (LNER 'D16/2') class 4-4-0 No. 8783. Built at Stratford in July 1923 as GER No. 1783 and withdrawn in August 1958 as BR No. 62614. Absolutely pristine 8783 has everything that could be polished - polished! That includes its copper-capped chimney. It was one of the the two 'D16'2s' kept in this condition and allocated for Royal train duties, principally traveling from London to Sandringham.
© Les Hanson-David Hanson Archive