18000 1958-09-14 Swindon Works
Gas Turbine No.18000 outside Swindon Works on September 14, 1958.
Peter Kerslake adds "18000 had returned to service in Febuary 1957 in green livery following a lengthy General Overhaul which took it out of service for virtually the whole of 1956. In early 1957 after working on the tightly timed "Merchant Venturer" express for a short period, 18000 was soon reduced to working lighter passenger duties on the Bristol line as it was now restricted to operating on only three of its four traction motors following an earlier failure of the number three motor which Swindon chose not to replace during the overhaul in 1956."
Photo: R.O. Tuck/Rail Archive Stephenson