525 1920s Dringhouses York
Ex-North Eastern Railway Worsdell 'P2' (LNER 'J26') class 0-6-0 No. 525. Built at Gateshead in October 1905 and withdrawn in July 1961 as BR No. 65774.
With a lengthy up freight of wooden bodied wagons, 525 is passing the signal box at the south end of Holgate Reception Sidings (just north of Dringhouses Reception Sidings) in the early 1920s. The large safety valve 'trumpet' of the 'J26s' was a visual difference to the very similar 'J27s'. As replacement Ross 'pop' valves were introduced, this distinctive feature gradually disappeared.
© Stephen Barrett Archive-SA Collection