69901 1955c Doncaster Carr
Ex-GCR 0-8-4T Class S1 No 69901 at Doncaster shed in the mid 1950s. Built in 1907 for heavy shunting in marshalling yards its final days were spent at Doncaster moving lines of ‘dead’ engines around the premises. This engine had previously been fitted with a booster (1932) to provide extra power when needed but this was removed in 1943. After the Grouping, two more engines (both booster-fitted) were built by LNER, becoming Nos 69904/5. No 69901 was finally withdrawn in January 1957 and 69904 in January 1956.
© David P Williams Archive / Rail-Online