W5W 1955-10-07 Stratford upon Avon
Diesel railcar No.W5W on 7th October 1955 waiting to depart from Stratford - note the difference in front end styling from No.W29W. The rounded appearance of the earlier railcars led enthusiasts to christen them “Flying bananas”. No.W5W had a body built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company, but as can be seen it did not have conventional buffers and drawgear; it was withdrawn in December 1957. The many variants of the former Great Western Railcars were spread over no less than thirteen Motive Power Depots at the end of January of 1956 , when thirty five remained in service , some six years or so before the last members of the class were condemned. Worcester had the most , with six in total , of which , W5W , seen here , was one. Southall , Reading and Bristol St . Philip's Marsh came close behind , with five units allocated to each , whilst the others in service were at Oxford , Stourbridge and several other Western Depots . W5W , built in 1935 , soon had its original A.E.C. single 121 h.p. power unit replaced by twin such engines giving it 242 h.p. and this increased power output was thereafter continued up to , and including W18W , although later units commencing with W19W were slightly less powerful at 210 h.p.