68358 1954-04 West Hartlepool MPD
Ex-North Eastern Railway W.Worsdell 'L' (LNER 'J73') class 0-6-0Tanks Nos. 68358 and 68364. Built at Gateshead in April 1892 as NER No. 547 and withdrawn in March 1955 (68358). Built at Gateshead in June 1892 as NER No. 553 and withdrawn in April 1960 (68364).
April 1954 finds a pair of Wilson Worsdell's 'J73s' sitting ouside West Hartlepool MPD in lovely sunshine, waiting to have their portraits taken. Intended for use on the Redheugh and Quayside banks on opposite sides of the Tyne, the 'J73s' were larger and more powerful than the existing, outwardly similar 'J71s'. As a specialised design, only ten 'J73s' were built in 1891-2.
© Ken Widd-SA Collection