67279 1956-07-21 Saffron Walden
Ex-North Eastern Railway W. Worsdell 'O' (LNER 'G5') class 0-4-4 Tank No. 67279. Built at Darlington in November 1896 as NER No. 1882 and withdrawn in November 1956.
When the LNER began to displace some former GER tank engines as far afield as Scotland, it seems curious that this ex-NER locomotive should have been transferred by BR from Hull to Stratford in 1948 but it was on account of the braking and control mechanisms fitted to the ex GER push pull coaches. It was subsequently relocated to Cambridge in 1951 and is seen here entering Saffron Walden in July 1956.
© Steve Armitage Collection