2931 1935-06-02 Swindon Works Stationary Test Plant
Great Western Railway Churchward 'Saint' class 4-6-0 No. 2931 'Arlington Court'. Built at Swindon in October 1911 and withdrawn in February 1951. The Great Western was the first British railway company to build a stationary testing plant in 1905. This enabled the great George Jackson Churchward to refine his revolutionary locomotive designs that were years in advance of his competitors. Here we have a 'Saint' undergoing a trial during a works visit in June 1935.
© Les Hanson-David Hanson Archive