47191 1956-07 Radstock
Ex-LMS Sentinel 0-4-0 Tank No. 47191. Built by Sentinel Waggon Works of Shrewsbury in September 1929 As LMS No. 7191 and withdrawn in August 1959.
Built for the sole purpose of shunting, 47191 (and sister locomotive 47190) were vertical boilered and chain driven. Sentinels used quite sophisticated steam technology, economical and ideal for shunting operations and general industrial use. Their short wheelbase allowed them to negotiate tight curves, their geared steam-motor design meant they had no hammer-blow so light rails could be used and the low profile cab allowed them to pass under the restricted height bridge to the adjacent colliery. 47191 is pictured in 1956 at Radstock, Somerset where it spent almost all of its entire life.
© Ken Widd-SA Collection