2655 1937-10-24 Swindon Works
Great Western Railway Dean '2600' or 'Aberdare' class 2-6-0 No. 2655. Built at Swindon in Jan. 1902 and withdrawn in June 1949. The 80 'Aberdare's' were so-called because their intended duties were to haul coal trains between Aberdare in South Wales and Swindon. The last of the class went for scrap in 1949. 2655 is pictured at Swindon Works in October 1937. The so-called 'Shirt Button' GWR emblem introduced in 1934, does not really sit well on the large tender.
© Steve Armitage Archive