57245 1950s Dumbarton Goods
Ex-Caledonian Railway Drummond '294' or 'Jumbo' (LMS '2F') class 0-6-0 No. 57245. Built by Neilson, Reid & Co. of Glagow in December 1883 as CR No. 307 and withdrawn in October 1961.
The crewman has decided it's obviously time for a break between shunting duties in Dumbarton goods yard. The negative sleeve gave the location as 'Hurlford' (which it wasn't) and it took some Sherlockholmesery to determine the actual location. The three churches and the 'Ballantines Whiskey' advert atop the building onthe left were the deciders!
© Steve Armitage Archive