65217 1962-06-15 Larbert
Pictured at Larbert in June 1962, 65217 was one of several ex-North British Railway Holmes 'C' (LNER 'J36') class 0-6-0s that saw WW1 service in France when requisitioned by the War Department. 'French' was built in 1890 as NBR No. 176 and gave 72 years of service until withdrawal in 1962. She was named after Field Marshal John Denton Pinkstone French (1852-1925), 1st Earl of Ypres. Commander-in-Chief. The rather 'home-made' tender cab is an interesting appendage!
© Steve Armitage Archive