31489 1952 Cannon Street
Ex-South Eastern & Chatham railway Wainwright/Maunsell 'D1' class 4-4-0 No. 31489. Built by Dubs & Co. of Glasgow in April 1903 as SE&CR 'D' class No. 489, rebuilt to class 'D1' by Beyer Peacock of Manchester in 1921 and withdrawn in November 1961.
Inside the smoky and cavernous ex-SE&CR terminus at Cannon Street, 31489 waits to depart on an unrecorded date in 1952. Note the wooden-floored extension to the platform!
© Steve Armitage Collection