31019 1952-10-18 Stewarts Lane
Wainwright's class ‘E’ 4-4-0s followed on from his successful ‘D’ Class with 26 built between 1905 and 1909. In 1919 Maunsell decided to rebuild one, No. 179, and considerably changed the appearance of the engine. The footplate over the driving wheels was raised and the cab was replaced with a standard Maunsell type. A new larger firebox was fitted and the slide valves were replaced with piston valves. This, the first ‘E1’, was rebuilt at Ashford and proved successful and therefore rebuild ten more, including No. 31019, were rebuilt in 1920 by Beyer, Peacock & Co. No. 31019 was at its home shed on 18th October 1952 and stayed at Stewarts Lane until the mass clear out of in June 1959 when it was transferred to Nine Elms.