15098 1956-09-01 Stratford
Petrol-electric shunting 'locomotive' at Stratford Depot
Believe it or not, this was a locomotive. Contrasting with the ordinary steam engines (a 2-6-4T and an 0-6-2T) next to it, No. 15098 was one of three Simplex four-wheel petrol engines belonging to the LNER, used for very light shunting formerly done by horses. It was originally a Departmental engine on the Great Eastern, numbered 8430 in Class Y11 by the LNER and finally 15098 by BR. Built in 1919, it spent six years at Lowestoft Harbour, then the rest of its life at Brentwood until September 1956.