D600 1958-08 Exeter St Davids
The first main-line diesel-hydraulic No.D600 Active was delivered from the North British Locomotive Company in January 1958. The heavyweight A1A-A1A locomotive was nothing like the lightweight design based on the German Federal Railway design that the Western Region management wanted and which emerged later in the year from Swindon in the form of No.D800. After a period of running-in and acceptance testing, in early August the first two locomotives began to regularly work from Penzance and Plymouth up to London. One of them took the 9.30pm Penzance-Paddington, returning the following day on the Down Cornish Riviera Limited and the other worked the Up Cornish Riviera Limited from Plymouth to Paddington, the 6.30pm Paddington-Bristol and the 2.55pm ex-Manchester from Bristol to Plymouth. No.D600 Active is arriving at Exeter during August with the Up Cornish Riviera limited. Their period in the limelight was brief as serious problems developed with their engines and transmissions and the D800s took over their prestigious duties.