2485 1929-09-20 York MPD
Ex-Hull & Barnsley Railway M.Stirling 'F2' (LNER 'N12') class 0-6-2 Tank No. 2485. Built by Kitson of Leeds in December 1901 as H&BR No. 104 and withdrawn in March 1937.
The Hull & Barnsley Railway had been absorbed into the North Eastern Railway prior to the 1923 grouping. Its fate was not to be a happy one under both the LNER and BR it was pruned vitually out of existence. The local independent Derwent Valley Light Railway hired 2485 from the LNER from 1929, stabling it at their Layerthorpe shed but it was returned to York weekly for boiler washouts!
© Stephen Barrett Archive-SA Collection