No.5 Colville's 1967-06-17 Gartsherrie
This photograph taken at the Baird’s and Scottish Steel Gartsherrie Iron Works, Coatbridge. The locomotive shown is B & SS Ltd No 5 (blue livery) built by Neilson Co in 1889 (works no. 3994). The iron works closed in June 1967, just days after the photo was taken and three of the four locomotives which worked there were scrapped. (The other three being No 3 (N 3629/87) -practically identical to No 5, No 19 an NBL 0-4-0ST (18385/08) and No 11 (another NBL 0-4-0ST, again same as No 5 N 2937/1882).
No.11 survives privately owned at Chasewater Railway where it is currently (2022) having a major overhaul to return it to steam. Built in 1882 by Neilson & Co wks no. 2937 and delivered to William Baird & Co at Bedlay Colliery near Glenboig.
In 1938 the company was reorganised and entered voluntary liquidation. William Baird and Co Ltd was reconstituted and the company’s Lanarkshire interests merged with the Scottish Iron & Steel Co Ltd to form Bairds and Scottish Steel Ltd.
In 1939 Bairds and Scottish Steel linked their Gartsherrie Works with the Northburn Steel Works.
With the nationalisation of the coal industry in January 1947 the locomotive passed in to the ownership of the National Coal Board (NCB).
It returned to Bairds & Scottish Steel Ltd at Gartsherrie Ironworks, Coatbridge, in about 1950 and following withdrawal, was acquired in June 1968 by Railway Preservation Society, Hednesford, Staffordshire and later went to the Chasewater Light Railway.
Following many years in storage the locomotive is currently (2022) undergoing heavy "frames-up" overhaul. The wheelsets have been turned and are ready to be reunited with the frames and the boiler is undergoing substantial rebuilding offsite at a sub-contractor.
Photo by and copyright of D P Williams