4681 1937-05-01 Sandy
Sandy in Bedforshire is where, for a short distance, the former L&NWR Bedford to Cambridge 'Varsity' route (closed in 1968) and the GNR lines that are now part of the ECML run in parallel for about half a mile but do not connect. Both companies had separate but adjacent stations with a shared island platform, this is now merged into one station. This fine view is looking north on May Day in 1937 as smart ex-GNR Gresley 'K2' 2-6-0 No. 4681 heads southbound with a mixed freight. 4681 was built by Kitson of Leeds in June 1921 as GNR No. 1681 and was withdrawn in Dec. 1960 as BR No. 61771. The ex-LNWR line is on the right.
© Les Hanson-David Hanson Archive