Bowhill Colliery 1970-01-05
At the time of this photograph, Bowhill Colliery had been closed for more than two years but the site was in use as a coal preparation facility. An extensive system of track with some fearsome gradients linked the washer with the BR exchange sidings. Two engines were usually in steam in the winter months and two in summer. Working locomotives in 1968 had been Nos 2, 6 and 37. Loco seen here is no 6 (AB 2261/1949).
Photo by and copyright of David P Williams