No 1 1967-12-07 Wellesley
The first and oldest engine on the railway almost saw proceedings through from start to finish. This powerful 0-6-0ST was bought new from the Kilmarnock locomotive builder Andrew Barclay in 1896 (works no. 764) and originally carried the name Lady Lilian after Randolph Wemyss’ first wife. Following their divorce in 1898 it became WCC No 1. Its early function was to work the Michael Colliery branch but spent most of its existence at the other end of the line being officially regarded by the WCC as the washer engine. The old WCC practice of putting the locomotive number on the front of the saddletank was perpetuated by the NCB following acquisition in 1947. No 1 had been disused for some years by 1967 when this photograph was taken at Wellesley Colliery and in 1968, two years before closure of the WPR the locomotive was finally cut up where it stood at Wellesley.
Photo by and copyright of David P Williams