DMU 1959-05 Brownhills
A Park Royal DMU bound for Wolverhampton High Level is about to leave Brownhills station on the ex-LandNWR Walsall to Lichfield line in May 1959. This view looking north-east was taken from High Street, a suffix applied to the station name between 1924 and 1930. The station remained in operation until 1965. David J. Hayes adds ' The line seen here was opened by the South Staffordshire Railway in 1849 and formed their route from Wichnor Junction to Bescot (opened between Walsall and Bescot in 1847) and Dudley, the latter reached in 1850. Following the withdrawal of passenger services in 1965, the section northwards from Walsall (Ryecroft Junction) to Lichfield (via Brownhills) and beyond to Wichnor Junction remained an important freight artery to and from Bescot Yard and the numerous rail-served terminals and industrial locations then still active in and around the Black Country region of the West Midlands. However, by the 1980s many of these had closed and the volume of freight traffic traversing the Lichfield to Walsall section vastly diminished, resulting in its eventual closure as a through route in March 1984 (the line was closed between Brownhills oil terminal and Ryecroft Junction, which included the section seen in the picture)'.