70000 1960c Woodbridge
70000 Britannia at Woodbridge just north of Ipswich with a Down express, probably in 1960. Its AWS had been fitted in March, and it had been at Norwich Thorpe since January 1959 staying until September 1961 when it went to March. After being stored there for its last few months, Britannia finally left the Eastern Region in March 1963, moving to Willesden. It was withdrawn from Newton Heath in May 1966 and had a lucky escape from the cutter’s torch when its place in the National Collection was taken by 70013 Oliver Cromwell but was purchased privately and restored to working order in 1978. It is now owned by Jeremy Hoskins’ Royal Scot Locomotive and General Trust and returned to the main line in 2019.