435 1955-01 Swindon Works
Ex-Brecon & Merthyr Railway James Dunbar '45' class 0-6-2 Tank No. 435. Built by Robert Stephenson & Co. in February 1921 as B&MR No. 49 and withdrawn in February 1954.
Already withdrawn, 435 is seen awaiting disposal in Swindon Works in October 1955 although it was borrowed for a spot of works shunting after withdrawal. The Welsh constituents absorbed by the GWR in 1923 favoured the 0-6-2 wheel arrangement for many of their tank locomotives. Once the GWR had 'Swindon-ised' them, they managed fairly long lives always remaining in their native Wales.
© Ken Widd-SA Collection