6646 1934-08-25 Blisworth
Ex-London & North Western Railway Webb '5ft. 6in.' (LMS '1P') class 2-4-2 Tank No. 6646. Built at Crewe in December 1892 as L&NWR No. 1152 and withdrawn in April 1947. Crewe produced 160 of these 2-4-2 tanks, effectively tank engine versions of Webb's 'Precursor' class. Seen on the LNWR WCML between Gayton Loops signal box (visible in the background) and Blisworth in August 1934, No. 6646 was one of 40 fitted with push-pull equipment. 6646 still carries its original LMS 'Crewe Hybrid' livery scheme of black with large straw coloured unlined numbers on tank side and crest on the bunker. Behind the loco are two veteran non-corridor arc roof coaches - an eight compartment third to D289 and a 6 compartment brake third to D345 No less than 43 survived into BR service, the final survivor (as BR No. 46616) was withdrawn in 1955.
© Les Hanson-David Hanson Archive