4000 1953-06-04 Shrewsbury
Castle class 4-6-0 No 4000 North Star moves out of the centre road at Shrewsbury station before leaving with an up slow on June 4, 1953.
Peter Kerslake adds "This could only be the northern end of Shrewsbury station with that massive signal gantry and distinctive water hose which have appeared in countless photographs in past years.
The hose extended out to the middle or through road so that waiting engines there could take water as well as those on the platform road where, in this fine view, a "Hall" is doing just that!
Originally numbered as number 40 , "North Star" was rebuilt as a "Castle" in November of 1929, following an earlier 1909 rebuild from a 4-4-2 wheeled design to its final 4-6-0 wheel arrangement, becoming 4000 in December of 1912, and was withdrawn from Wolvehampton Stafford Road Depot in May of 1957"
Photo: R.O. Tuck/Rail Archive Stephenson