62660 1958-09-21 Goldthorpe
The D11 is on the RCTS South Yorks No4 Rail Tour. A striking view of a splendid former Great Central engine, the forerunner of the Director class in the shape of 62660 Butler Henderson, happily still with us following restoration at Loughborough in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Peter Kerslake photographed 62660, a Lincoln engine in 1955, when he made a special trip to Lincoln from Boston in the hope that one of that shed's allocation of Directors would be there, but it looked uncared for and unloved in its drab, uncleaned plain black livery, such a contrast to its former Great Central livery of fully lined-out green with red frames. Allocated to no less than at least seven sheds during its working lifetime, ranging from Neasden in London to Leeds in the North, Butler Henderson was eventually withdrawn from Sheffield Darnall in October 1960, to be restored to its former livery at Gorton Works before becoming a static exhibit at Clapham Transport Musuem and then at York prior to a full restoration to working order at Loughborough as mentioned above.