62660 1958-09-21 Hare Park & Crofton
On RCTS South Yorks tour.
The powerful and impressive design of the former Great Cental Director class is evident from this striking image of the leader of the class, 62660 Butler Henderson, introduced in December 1919 and bearing the number 506.
Allocated from new to Neasden shed and remaining a London engine until 1925 Butler Henderson thereafter enjoyed a lifetime at many and varied locations, working from Lincoln to Derby, Sheffield and Nottingham in the mid-1950s before withdrawal from Sheffield Darnall came in October 1960 .
Such a fine engine fully deserved to be spared from the cutters' torches, and happily 62660 was saved, restored and runs today on the Great Central Railway heritage line, resplendent in its Great Central livery.