40046 1970s Wakefield Kirkgate
BR 'Class 40' 1Co-Co1 Diesel No. 40046. Built by English Electric Vulcan Foundry in November 1959 as BR No. D246 and withdrawn in February 1983.
Rolling into Wakefield Kirkgate Station c.1975 from the Leeds direction, 40046 is heading west with a short ballast train. The lines to the right pass Wakefield MPD and then head for Pontefract & Goole. They divide at Crofton West Junction allowing connection with the Leeds to Doncaster route at Hare Park Junction.
© Steve Armitage Archive