4259 1960s Newport
Looking very work stained here passing through Newport " 4200 " class 4259 is on a typical Welsh freight duty for which Mr. Churchward had designed these heavy mineral tanks , his prototype emerging from Swindon as 4201 in 1910 .
His plans had been for a heavy 2-8-2T design to handle the developing South Wales heavy mineral traffic which had steadily been increasing from about 1900 but in the event length and weight restrictions saw his design emerging as a tank version of his 1903 " 2800 " series of tender engines with their 2-8-0 wheel arrangement.
The first production engine entered service in 1912 with 4202 to 4221 coming into traffic that year , followed by many more in the following years .
Declining mineral traffic in South Wales in the 1920's resulted in later versions numbered 5275 to 5294 being stored at Swindon following construction there before being rebuilt as a 2-8-2 tank design , so Mr. Churchward's original wishes eventually came into reality.
The first withdrawal was 4224 in 1959 , whilst the last in service was 5235 in 1965.