AT&SFRR 3758 1940s San Diego Station California
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad 3751' class 4-8-2 No. 3758. Built by Baldwin circa 1928 as a class of 14 locomotive, all withdrawn by 1959. Two, 3751 and 3759 are preserved.
San Diego's Railroad Depot (station), was built in 1915 in Spanish Colonial style. It is seen here in the 1940s and is undeniably an absolutely magnificent building. The adjacent and sympathetic planting of palms only serves to enhance this scene. The stylish and renowned passenger observation car, seen on the right is attached to one of the Santa Fe's three most prestigious trains from Los Angeles to Chicago. These were the 'Chief', the 'Super Chief', or the 'El Capitan'. The designs of these cars varied slightly but this is car 3198 or 3199 built in 1938.
© Steve Armitage Collection