40480 1952-08-30 York Holgate
Ex-Midland Railway Johnson '2P' class 4-4-0 No. 40480. Built by Beyer, Peacock & Co. of Manchester in April 1900 as MR No. 480 and withdrawn in February 1954 from Royston shed.
This is a classic August 1952 scene at York's Holgate Platforms, reserved for York Race Day specials to avoid passenger congestion in the main station. Holgate Road's massive girder bridge is prominent and the 1851 built Church of St Paul Holgate (now demolished), is partially obscured by the steam from 40480. Three years into the BR era and the '2Ps' tender still proclaims its LMS ownership!
© Stephen Barrett Archive-SA Collection