Derby was host to a diverse collection of engines over the years including former Mersey Railway 0-6-4T No.42 Cecil Raikes. It was one of the initial batch of locomotives delivered to the Mersey Railway, which linked Liverpool and Birkenhead by a tunnel under the River Mersey, from Beyer Peacock of Gorton, Manchester, prior to the line’s opening in 1886. The severe gradients of 1 in 27 and 1 in 30 out of the tunnel at each end required powerful locomotives, but steam was not conducive to underground operation despite the use of condensers to convert the engine’s exhaust steam back into water. Unfortunately, these caused operational difficulties and smoke remained a problem, and so in May 1903 the Mersey Railway was converted to electric traction. The steam locomotives were sold off, with Cecil Raikes going to Shipley Colliery in Derbyshire in 1904, where it worked for the next fifty years. Following storage at Derby for a number of years, it was presented to National Museums Liverpool by the British Railways Board in 1965.